What Makes Us Different – Why HBL?
So what makes HBL truly different? The character “Curly” in the movie City Slickers said the key to life is finding “that one thing”. If we had to narrow it down to that “one thing” that we would like to be and to become known for, it would be our commitment to our people.
We are committed to work-life balance – we close at two o’clock on Fridays outside the traditional busy season. We are committed to helping each employee achieve the most that they can out of their experience with our firm. Our personnel are given an annual time budget that includes an ‘investment’ time allocation ranging from 200 to 500 hours, which is time dedicated to building a better future for themselves as individuals, and for HBL as a firm. These investments bear fruit. For example, every member of our staff who is eligible to be a CPA has earned their CPA license or is actively pursuing the certificate.
We are committed to supporting our personnel in service of our community and in remaining connected and involved in the larger world around them. We help with fundraising, we sponsor community events for organizations in which our team members are involved, and we encourage active participation in civic and professional societies. Our continuing professional education policy supports additional credentialing and skills-development beyond industry standards – building a commitment to lifelong learning.
Achievement is key to our employees’ success in life, at home, and at work, whether with our firm or as one of our alumni. That “one thing” that makes us different is our desire to see our staff thrive as lifelong professionals, as family members, and as involved community leaders.
HBL offers a competitive package of benefits and workplace “perks”. Below are some of the benefits offered to our full-time employees:
- 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan: employer match
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Group life and long-term disability plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Mentoring program with firm partners
- Paid Continuing Professional Education, Membership Dues, and Licenses
- Paid CPA Exam study time (in-office)
- Reimbursement for CPA exam-related expenses
- Catered busy season meals
- Complimentary Arbuckle’s Coffee, candy, snacks, and soda
- Busy season massages
- Flex-Time schedule (May through November)
- Dress your day
- Monthly happy hours at various restaurants
- Special event outings
- Partner-Designated time off